Ever since I got an iPhone about four years ago, I’ve been writing down friends’ quotes that were particularly memorable for one reason or another.
The other night I was looking back on them and I didn’t laugh/cringe more than when I reached the college section. I recalled them all fondly—albeit some of the memories were a bit hazy—but realizing that these quotes are now the only textual memories I have of college (outside of my thesis, whatever) made it all the better.
These 11 quotes are the “best” I found and most accurately portray what it was like going to a school described as “putting the ‘liberal’ in liberal arts.”
- "I just hate, like, doing things. You know, things with like… schedules."
- "Those are two things I hate: not smoking, and exercising."
- "How mom would your dad get about this?"
- “‘Latkes’? I thought those were cocktails.”
- "If I was rich, I’d marry myself."
- "He’s from Madagascar."
"That makes him sound like an animal."
- “I was obsessed with the fact that he was going to be obsessed with me.”
- "Burbank—I mean Harlem."
- "Como se dice, ‘rock bottom’?"
- "She’s like my mom, except the reverse. I’m my mom, and she’s me."
- "She’s a straight male who’s female, who’s gay.”